Friday, April 15, 2016

FRONT PORCH POST - HOUSE ACROSS THE LAKE

I am not good with names of trees.  In the spring I love finding the trees that are blooming white or blooming pink - the pink blooming ones have lost their blooms now and their leaves have filled out the branches....but now the white blooming ones are showing off.  I also like Dogwoods but so far haven't gotten a lot of photos of them.

I couldn't help but see this one the other day while walking at the lake.






Adn the other day as it was getting towards dusk I thought I saw our first Grosbeak of the season - and sure enough today I saw two of them on the feeders.  They will be here until fall when they begin to leave again to far away places.  I always get excited when I see them.  These photos are from last year since I did't get any photos of them today.

They are one of my favorite birds that visit.  And their little fledglings are adorable - which I will get to see again this year.

Hope your weekend is beautiful - and as far as up here - we are having very strong breezes again today which happens quite a bit in the spring.  So I guess instead of walking - we will drive up to Green Valley Lake later to see what's blooming at about 7000 feet.  Surely something will be.




He wasn't quite sure what to do with the orange.  I put the orange out for the Orioles and I'm hoping they also return soon.





12 comments:

tammy j said...

OH!!!
talk about bird pictures!
you could do a calendar. i'd be your first customer.
i'm not kidding here.
the thought crossed my mind though... is that pot actually shallow so they don't accidentally fall in and drown? LOL. sorry. ever the worrier. trying to break that habit. (as you can well imagine. :))
our state tree is the red bud and they bloom along with the white dogwood EVERYWHERE. it's quite the show in springtime.
unless of course they're blown away. LOL. :)

sandy said...

thanksTammy. This is an insert in the pot - you know those plastic type plate things you can buy that go under your pot so when you water it doesn't leak all over the place. I found that if I get the right size it actually fits right on top so they are really drinking out of something that is about an 1" in depth - they often take baths in it also.

sandy said...

I am a nervous bird mama - i make sure they don't fall in, lol. And I'm ridiculous with Beanie cat - I keep her heat lamp on all the time and when I forget she gets in her little basket and stares at it until i turn the light on.

cat's momma said...

Lucky Beanie...got you wrapped around her little paw...lol.
I think I once painted one of these scenes because I remember the orange and doing the water in the pan and I love the bird (grosbeak) because of it's colors.

sandy said...

HI Laura - I knew I painted one of them - so i looked back in your art and sure enough you did too. Yes Beanie is spoiled. Since she is an inside cat I either put a leash on her or just carry her and walk her around the yard and up the street a bit once in awhile. She seems to like it. But ..we can leave the door open and she won't go outside - she 's still scared of going out alone I think.

Anonymous said...


I love your bird photos. You have so many that we don't have in LA. One of my favorite things is watching the little sparrows in the bird bath outside my window. They are so wonderful. Share some photos of the blooms you get at 7000 feet.

trav4adventures said...

Sandy, I just put out a sliced orange this morning for the Orioles. Now, I hope they appear! They've been by twice already, so who knows? We, too, have Grosbeaks, but I haven't seen or heard them yet....
Cheryl Ann (only 2 more weeks of teaching!)

Winifred said...

I've never seen those birds before they are really pretty.

tammy j said...

I think it's so great that you take beanie for walks!
I'm trying to break the habit of so many exclamation points. but I feel them. so they appear. :)
there is a couple here at my complex who carry their kitty on walks.
at first it seemed odd. but now I think they're all just very happy!
oops. there's another one.
XO♥

Connie said...

I love the flowering trees too. Those are cute little birds. I don't think I've ever seen that kind before.

Serena Lewis said...

You live in such a beautiful area, Sandy. I love seeing the pics of the houses and wildlife. Great shots of the birds! :)

Linda said...

Beautiful series, and the birds are precious!

Labels

12 tomatoe site (1) agua fria (1) around town (2) Arrowbear (1) Arroyo Grande (2) art (1) artsy art (1) atascadero (2) autumn (1) autumn birds (1) Avila Beach (1) back deck (1) Balboa Island (1) beanie (4) bears (1) Bend (10) bend daily front porch (1) big bear (1) Big Bear City (1) bird (1) bird farm (1) bird farm magnolia (1) bird house (1) birds (2) blue (1) blue jay (1) botanical gardens (1) burnt mill road (1) ca (1) california (2) Cambria (1) carrie's garden (1) cat (5) cats (2) cayucos (1) cedar glen (7) cedar pines park (1) central coast (3) central coast visit (1) chicken lime and cilantro (1) christmas (1) city scenes (2) claremont (23) Claremont front porch (1) coast (2) Corona (1) Corral (1) Covina (3) crestline (9) crestline front porch (1) crochet. (1) daffodils (1) dailiy front porch (1) daily (1) daily front porch (36) daily front porch CLAREMONT (1) daily front porch claremont (1) daily front porch COVINA (1) Daily porch (2) dog (1) doggie day care (1) dogs (1) drone over china (1) duarte (1) fall (1) fall 2015 (1) family garden (1) favorite house #1 (1) ferry (1) fog (1) front porch (78) front porch Bend (1) front porch crestline (1) front porch daily (5) front porch deck crestline (1) front porch Laverne (1) front porch post (6) front porch rim forest (1) front porch SLO (1) front porch Upland (1) Front Porches (1) frontp porch (1) glendora (1) granddaughters (1) grandson (1) great falls (1) green valley lake (1) grobeak (1) halcyon (1) heaps peak (1) heron (1) horse (1) hummingbirds (1) hwy 38 (1) ice (1) jake (1) keller peak (1) kinkade (1) kittens (3) la maison boheme (1) lake arrowhead (9) lake arrowhead. (1) Lake Gregory area (1) lake gregory dogs (1) laugh a lot (1) Laverne (5) leaves. claremont (1) local (1) lopez lake (1) love birds (1) mac and jake (1) mackenzie (1) Magnolia Bird farm (1) mansion redlands (1) mice (1) mirror pond (1) monrovia (3) montana (1) morro bay gallery (1) mountain rim (1) mountain towns (1) mountains (1) mouse (1) ms. feral (1) mt. baldy (3) my street (1) Northwest Crossing (1) oak glen (3) ocean (1) oceano (1) olalla (2) Ontario (4) Oregon (5) Oro (1) parrots (1) paso robles (4) pelicans (2) PET pacific electric trail (1) pets (1) Pismo Beach (1) Pismo trip (1) playground (1) port orchard (3) poulsbo (1) Prescott (1) rainbow (1) Redlands (5) rim highway (1) rim of the world (1) riverside (6) roosters (1) RUNNING SPRINGS (1) san antonio heights (1) san luis obispo (5) san simeon (1) santa barbara courthouse (1) santa's village (1) seagulls (1) seahawks (1) seattle (4) sky park (1) SLO (3) snow (2) snow in March (1) snow white (1) squirrel (1) sugarloaf (1) sunset (3) tacoma (2) temecula (1) Templeton (1) Thompson creek trail (1) thunder snow (1) toni's (1) tulips (1) Twin Peaks (3) typewriter (1) Upland (8) valentine's day (1) valley of moon (1) vashon island (1) VOE (1) walk (1) washington (1) western bluebird (1) wrightwood (6) WW (1) zebras (2)