Yesterday we took some roads into the high desert because I wanted to photograph Joshua trees (for sketching purposes). The desert has a beauty if you look for it - otherwise, the endless expanse of the Mojave desert can be hyponitizingly desolately ugly one could say. I was determined to find the beauty before the summer ended in the desert.
My father loved the desert and often hiked in the cooler months. He wrote a few poems about his love for the desert. (I'll find some and post it later). He lived his retirement years along the Colorado River in the desert. I gained some of his affection for the desert and can also find beauty especially in the Joshua trees that dot the dry expansive landscape.
The Joshua tree was named by the Mormons around the mid 19th century. Mormons first passed through the Mojave desert and named these trees on their way to the promised land.
In this area where we were yesterday, Pinon Hills, gold was discovered in the 1700's.
We also have what is called the Mormon Rocks nearby which were created by the movement of the San Andreas Fault. I have posted photos before but recently we took a small hike out near them so will post those. We also visited Devils Punch Bowl which are similar formations about 40 minutes away from where we live.
Well...enough of history right now. I'm been enjoying taking out without a destination in mind and seeing what excites me. Yesterday it was these Joshua trees.
Our skies have been smokey because of a forest fire which is not threatening our area, but the wind blows the smoke over. We took out yesterday because the sky was so beautiful and the smoke was less noticeable.
It only takes us about 10 to 15 minutes to leave the mountains and arrive in the high desert.
Not sure where we will go today, but I have a therapy appointment at 3:00 so I need to stick close to home.
My father loved the desert and often hiked in the cooler months. He wrote a few poems about his love for the desert. (I'll find some and post it later). He lived his retirement years along the Colorado River in the desert. I gained some of his affection for the desert and can also find beauty especially in the Joshua trees that dot the dry expansive landscape.
The Joshua tree was named by the Mormons around the mid 19th century. Mormons first passed through the Mojave desert and named these trees on their way to the promised land.
In this area where we were yesterday, Pinon Hills, gold was discovered in the 1700's.
We also have what is called the Mormon Rocks nearby which were created by the movement of the San Andreas Fault. I have posted photos before but recently we took a small hike out near them so will post those. We also visited Devils Punch Bowl which are similar formations about 40 minutes away from where we live.
Well...enough of history right now. I'm been enjoying taking out without a destination in mind and seeing what excites me. Yesterday it was these Joshua trees.
Our skies have been smokey because of a forest fire which is not threatening our area, but the wind blows the smoke over. We took out yesterday because the sky was so beautiful and the smoke was less noticeable.
It only takes us about 10 to 15 minutes to leave the mountains and arrive in the high desert.
Not sure where we will go today, but I have a therapy appointment at 3:00 so I need to stick close to home.
6 comments:
It's amazing how many different terrains you have over there, including a desert. Wow!
And thanks for the info about the Joshua Tree. :-)
and, the coast is only a little over an hour away. That's why I like the southwest.
You know, anytime you have an interesting sky ... clouds and formations or thunderous dark clouds, etc.,... there will be an added beauty to whatever the landscape. I really like the closer up picture of the joshua tree in the foreground and then that sky!
Great pictures, Sandy. I've never been to the dessert. I do like the looks of the Joshua trees too. Have a good weekend!
You have certainly made the desert look like a place of beauty in your photos, Sandy. Love those Joshua Trees and look forward to seeing your sketches. Did you know that 70% of Australia is desert and sandy dunes? A lot of Australia is uninhabitable.
thanks everyone. Serena - I didn't realize that 70% is desert ...wow. This must look familiar to you.
Wonder what type of vegetation you have in the deserts there.
Post a Comment