Saturday, May 3, 2014

BOTANICAL GARDENS IN CLAREMONT

On the 27th of April, before the fires the last few days (so cal was on fire again due to high heat and winds) and they were down in the same areas we had fires back in 2003, when our house was threatened).......   this day, we visited the botanical gardens.  It was my husband's birthday so upon giving him several suggestions of things to do for his birthday, he/we decided to go there and then out to eat.

I have a lot of photos from that day but will post just one for now, as I wanted to get something up on my blog which I neglect so often due to posting other places (art and nature blogs)...  When I was going through the photos this morning I saw this one - and it might be one of my favorite ones out of the bunch.

A male mallard duck in a pond at the botanical gardens.




We have to make a trip down the hill today to buy a fix it something or other for a leak in a faucet (not just replacing a washer type of fix) and this will be a chance to see the fire from a different vantage point.  I think it's almost contained and as far as I know didn't burn down any structures.  However, the same night as the fires down the hill there was a fire up here on the other side of the lake up in the hills.  We drove by yesterday and  the smoke smell was still heavy in the air - evidently one structure burned to the ground, two were damaged and there was one injury of someone who was airlifted out due to jumping off a balcony and breaking a leg (I think I read).  Seems like there are lots of weather related news again (or maybe it's all the time actually).

Hope all is well in your world weather-wise!  


7 comments:

Connie said...

I hope you stay safe from the fires there, Sandy. Beautiful photo! That is really a great shot. I love all the colors in the duck and in the water.

sandy said...

thanks Daisy - fires are all out as far as I know. The air quality was not the greatest down the hill yesterday but thankfully fires are out.

Margie said...

This is a gorgeous shot!
Fire season is starting here, I am praying for rain.
Be safe, always, Sandy

sandy said...

thanks Margie and I hope you get rain!

cat's momma said...

I was following the fire story, as much as I could find up here in our news and realized it started around the same area as 2003! That was such a bad memory! I'm glad the fire didn't get any further out of hand. The back ground and reflection of the duck is so beautiful I saved off the photo.

sandy said...

yes it did Laura - actually around Etiwanda but traveling towards our old place - From Carnelian to Haven was under mandatory evac - just like before. glad all were safe though and it is almost 100 percent contained.

cat's momma said...

Wow, I did not ever see that anywhere! I knew there were evacuations but didn't know it was over that far!

Labels

12 tomatoe site (1) agua fria (1) around town (2) Arrowbear (1) Arroyo Grande (2) art (1) artsy art (1) atascadero (2) autumn (1) autumn birds (1) Avila Beach (1) back deck (1) Balboa Island (1) beanie (4) bears (1) Bend (10) bend daily front porch (1) big bear (1) Big Bear City (1) bird (1) bird farm (1) bird farm magnolia (1) bird house (1) birds (2) blue (1) blue jay (1) botanical gardens (1) burnt mill road (1) ca (1) california (2) Cambria (1) carrie's garden (1) cat (5) cats (2) cayucos (1) cedar glen (7) cedar pines park (1) central coast (3) central coast visit (1) chicken lime and cilantro (1) christmas (1) city scenes (2) claremont (23) Claremont front porch (1) coast (2) Corona (1) Corral (1) Covina (3) crestline (9) crestline front porch (1) crochet. (1) daffodils (1) dailiy front porch (1) daily (1) daily front porch (36) daily front porch CLAREMONT (1) daily front porch claremont (1) daily front porch COVINA (1) Daily porch (2) dog (1) doggie day care (1) dogs (1) drone over china (1) duarte (1) fall (1) fall 2015 (1) family garden (1) favorite house #1 (1) ferry (1) fog (1) front porch (78) front porch Bend (1) front porch crestline (1) front porch daily (5) front porch deck crestline (1) front porch Laverne (1) front porch post (6) front porch rim forest (1) front porch SLO (1) front porch Upland (1) Front Porches (1) frontp porch (1) glendora (1) granddaughters (1) grandson (1) great falls (1) green valley lake (1) grobeak (1) halcyon (1) heaps peak (1) heron (1) horse (1) hummingbirds (1) hwy 38 (1) ice (1) jake (1) keller peak (1) kinkade (1) kittens (3) la maison boheme (1) lake arrowhead (9) lake arrowhead. (1) Lake Gregory area (1) lake gregory dogs (1) laugh a lot (1) Laverne (5) leaves. claremont (1) local (1) lopez lake (1) love birds (1) mac and jake (1) mackenzie (1) Magnolia Bird farm (1) mansion redlands (1) mice (1) mirror pond (1) monrovia (3) montana (1) morro bay gallery (1) mountain rim (1) mountain towns (1) mountains (1) mouse (1) ms. feral (1) mt. baldy (3) my street (1) Northwest Crossing (1) oak glen (3) ocean (1) oceano (1) olalla (2) Ontario (4) Oregon (5) Oro (1) parrots (1) paso robles (4) pelicans (2) PET pacific electric trail (1) pets (1) Pismo Beach (1) Pismo trip (1) playground (1) port orchard (3) poulsbo (1) Prescott (1) rainbow (1) Redlands (5) rim highway (1) rim of the world (1) riverside (6) roosters (1) RUNNING SPRINGS (1) san antonio heights (1) san luis obispo (5) san simeon (1) santa barbara courthouse (1) santa's village (1) seagulls (1) seahawks (1) seattle (4) sky park (1) SLO (3) snow (2) snow in March (1) snow white (1) squirrel (1) sugarloaf (1) sunset (3) tacoma (2) temecula (1) Templeton (1) Thompson creek trail (1) thunder snow (1) toni's (1) tulips (1) Twin Peaks (3) typewriter (1) Upland (8) valentine's day (1) valley of moon (1) vashon island (1) VOE (1) walk (1) washington (1) western bluebird (1) wrightwood (6) WW (1) zebras (2)