Sunday, January 17, 2016

FRONT PORCH POST - ABOUT FIVE HOUSES DOWN FROM ME - ....A COUPLE CAT PHOTOS - A BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN AND OTHER STUFF


 The  people who own this gingerbread house are rarely are here - this is a second home and it seems they only come on holidays.  The woman is friendly and waves as we pass whenever she is outside.  That's all I know about her.  She does seem to decorate as each season changes so it's interesting to see what she puts up on the porch.  My house is about five houses up the road on the same side of the street .








We have been talking just a touch about maybe it would be better to buy a cabin and get some equity instead of paying rent.  Probably will not do this because I have often said I never want to own again.  I've gotten in the habit though of looking to see what is for sale in our area.  I happened to come across this beautiful kitchen below in a house that only costs 164,000....But..it's only a 2 bedroom and we need 3  - and if I move again it will probably be to try somewhere else - like a different mountain town ...  We stayed put for almost 30 years before and now I've lived three different places since 2010 and rather like moving every  two or three years.






Beanie likes to sit in her little basket and watch "Mama" cat when she stops by for a meal.  Mama's boyfriend has been showing up every morning and meowing at about 7:00 for his meal - it actually sounds like he is saying "hello"...  Mama cat looks up and usually just ignores the fact that we have a cat in the house now.  Snow is melting almost gone on the deck but still in the yard.


God, I hate that red lamp.  It's one of those things that I think I'll replace or move somewhere else and I never do it - and never think about it until I see it in a photo , yuck.



This other lamp I leave on for Beanie - she likes the heat from it as she sits in her basket.



She is so adorable.  She sits and watches life happening in the house.  We had three of my sons up on Friday and their kids.  She did not know what to do with all the people in the house.





These next two pics I saw on FB - this is the solar observatory covered in snow up in Big Bear - i thought it was an awesome photo.  


Another beautiful photo of our recent snow I came across.




This is the rim highway we are on so much - traveling either up or down the mountain.  Every so often the clouds are such that we are above them and it looks like you could step right off onto the clouds and swim.  We have our own cloud Ocean up here.  This is about 5000 feet altitude right here so it would be a long way down if you fell  while trying to surf.


Big bear in the distance.  We were heading up to Rim HIgh School yesterday for our son's first basketball game.  We haven't been to a game in a high school gym since our oldest who is now 41, played basketball in high school.  It was actually really fun to see our grandkid play yesterday.




 He is number 5.







And I saw this photo in the news of the Golden Gate bridge - which reminds me of how much I miss visiting and watching our grandkids for our son who lived in San Francisco until this last summer when he moved to Washington. 

Such an awesome view of the bridge in fog.


Well I've done a fairly long post and now it's time to take my grandson and his friend who is staying with us until tomorrow - either bowling or walking the lake.


15 comments:

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I have just found your blog and look forward to browsing around a little more! I live in a mountain town in NY and have just bought after renting for a few years (after a divorce) - I find it interesting that you like moving around every couple of years because I am completely the opposite and don't ever want to have to move again! Ok, I know....I say that now. :)

sandy said...

Hi MM - so nice to have you visit. I think because we stayed in one spot so long I now like to try out other places. But we are raising a grandkid so we will probably stay put at least for another four or so years (sigh)..which to me feels like being grounded. I like adventure and new things but it can wait. I will visit you to find out more about your New York mountain town!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Sandy, thank you so much for sharing.

Dewena said...

Your neighbors have a darling house but then darling houses here at your blog seem to be everywhere! I laughed at what you wrote about your red lamp. And you made me wonder about the freedom it might be to move every few years. Like Mountain Mama above, a sweetheart of a woman, I don't think I'd ever again want to move, and certainly I would need to drastically declutter if I did!

High school basketball games are so much fun! I miss all those we went to in raising 4 sons.

trav4adventures said...

Our son and his family just moved to Temecula after selling their home in Indio. They had it for 6 years. They are now renting. Honestly, I don't know how they will EVER be able to afford to buy another home! We've been in our house here now for...40 years! Maybe, if we ever sell it, we'll just rent, too, and that way, we can see different areas. LOVE the photo of the observatory in the snow! WOW!
~Cheryl Ann~

sandy said...

Thanks Llinda.

sandy said...

Hi Dewena - I decluttered 40 married years of stuff when we sold in 2010. It took a long time to go through things, list them on Freecycle, give away to thrift stores, throw away... and I thought I came out with very little compared to what I had. I still have too much and need to do it again and going somewhere completely different and trying that location for awhile that appeals to me.

sandy said...

The housing costs are getting right up there with what they were before 2008 collapse. I hadn't really noticed until I start browsing houses for sale. Really, I doubt we will ever buy. Your kids must be loving Temecula. As I write this i really do think renting is the way to go then someone else has to pay to get things fixed - example - the tree branch that just fell on the roof here and caused some damage and the trees the county wanted cleaned up - so glad we didn't have to pay for it all.

cat's momma said...

What a wonderful, interesting, funny post! I love that observatory photo! All the photos are really nice and that neighboring house is so cute. It's difficult to imagine you guys returning to sports games after having that in your life for so long. Loved seeing all the pictures and I don't get why you find that lamp so yucky...lol!

sandy said...

yes, really kind of strange going to games in a high school gym.

Connie said...

That gingerbread house is so cute. Beanie looks so sweet lying there soaking up the heat from the lamp. :)

sandy said...

thanks Connie - beanie is fun to have a round ( like any kitten would be). I love the way she watches "mama" out the window. She does it often.

Geraldine Helen said...

Such lovely photos, I think the bridge one was my fav though, after Beanie's pics, of course. :-) You have a lovely home. And I love that Gingerbread House too. What a shame that they don't enjoy it more. Must have a lot of $$ to have a house and use it so little of the time.

Have a great weekend Sandy, G

Linda said...

Beautiful series. I love that kitchen!!!

tammy j said...

how the heck did I miss this post!!!
it's great.
I loved the glimpses of your beautiful cabin home. wow. the views.
and I love that you turn the lamp so little beanie can be warm in her basket there. :) it's what I would do too.
and the pictures of hunter. what a great looking kid.
loved this post dear bean! XO

Labels

12 tomatoe site (1) agua fria (1) around town (2) Arrowbear (1) Arroyo Grande (2) art (1) artsy art (1) atascadero (2) autumn (1) autumn birds (1) Avila Beach (1) back deck (1) Balboa Island (1) beanie (4) bears (1) Bend (10) bend daily front porch (1) big bear (1) Big Bear City (1) bird (1) bird farm (1) bird farm magnolia (1) bird house (1) birds (2) blue (1) blue jay (1) botanical gardens (1) burnt mill road (1) ca (1) california (2) Cambria (1) carrie's garden (1) cat (5) cats (2) cayucos (1) cedar glen (7) cedar pines park (1) central coast (3) central coast visit (1) chicken lime and cilantro (1) christmas (1) city scenes (2) claremont (23) Claremont front porch (1) coast (2) Corona (1) Corral (1) Covina (3) crestline (9) crestline front porch (1) crochet. (1) daffodils (1) dailiy front porch (1) daily (1) daily front porch (36) daily front porch CLAREMONT (1) daily front porch claremont (1) daily front porch COVINA (1) Daily porch (2) dog (1) doggie day care (1) dogs (1) drone over china (1) duarte (1) fall (1) fall 2015 (1) family garden (1) favorite house #1 (1) ferry (1) fog (1) front porch (78) front porch Bend (1) front porch crestline (1) front porch daily (5) front porch deck crestline (1) front porch Laverne (1) front porch post (6) front porch rim forest (1) front porch SLO (1) front porch Upland (1) Front Porches (1) frontp porch (1) glendora (1) granddaughters (1) grandson (1) great falls (1) green valley lake (1) grobeak (1) halcyon (1) heaps peak (1) heron (1) horse (1) hummingbirds (1) hwy 38 (1) ice (1) jake (1) keller peak (1) kinkade (1) kittens (3) la maison boheme (1) lake arrowhead (9) lake arrowhead. (1) Lake Gregory area (1) lake gregory dogs (1) laugh a lot (1) Laverne (5) leaves. claremont (1) local (1) lopez lake (1) love birds (1) mac and jake (1) mackenzie (1) Magnolia Bird farm (1) mansion redlands (1) mice (1) mirror pond (1) monrovia (3) montana (1) morro bay gallery (1) mountain rim (1) mountain towns (1) mountains (1) mouse (1) ms. feral (1) mt. baldy (3) my street (1) Northwest Crossing (1) oak glen (3) ocean (1) oceano (1) olalla (2) Ontario (4) Oregon (5) Oro (1) parrots (1) paso robles (4) pelicans (2) PET pacific electric trail (1) pets (1) Pismo Beach (1) Pismo trip (1) playground (1) port orchard (3) poulsbo (1) Prescott (1) rainbow (1) Redlands (5) rim highway (1) rim of the world (1) riverside (6) roosters (1) RUNNING SPRINGS (1) san antonio heights (1) san luis obispo (5) san simeon (1) santa barbara courthouse (1) santa's village (1) seagulls (1) seahawks (1) seattle (4) sky park (1) SLO (3) snow (2) snow in March (1) snow white (1) squirrel (1) sugarloaf (1) sunset (3) tacoma (2) temecula (1) Templeton (1) Thompson creek trail (1) thunder snow (1) toni's (1) tulips (1) Twin Peaks (3) typewriter (1) Upland (8) valentine's day (1) valley of moon (1) vashon island (1) VOE (1) walk (1) washington (1) western bluebird (1) wrightwood (6) WW (1) zebras (2)