(Photo taken at our local lake)
Several times a week I may or may not cross this bridge
sometimes walking up on the street above
or below on the shore at the lake
But always when out walking
I feel at peace (almost always)
I call this the middle path and often
when walking i try to stay present in the moment
and not think of what's ahead or me or what lies behind
because although I enjoy revisiting the past
sometimes I don't
so I tend to want to walk that middle path
In my 30's and 40's I often said to myself or to
whoever was there to listen to me (which most definitely
wasn't my kids) but more than likely my sister or husband
I would say ......."I want to be a monk."
So riddled with responsibilities
Not only with raising four sons
but working at my job at home... being
that of a medical transcriptionist...
I wanted to escape!!!!! Yes that is five
exclamation points - and that is how much
I longed for peace and quiet - solitude with
the aroma of incense filling the air around me.
Some day I will talk more about my journey - my path
but for now I'm so glad to walk this middle path at the lake
and then again some days I want to be more wild and adventurous
So i walk up where there is traffic on the road - I take that chance
that cars will miss me as I feel I wear a big bullseye on the back of me
Where did that image come from - that big bullseye that just appeared
in my mind's eye, on my back - ahh that represents to me - the chance
you take walking on a path that is filled with one's fears and what ifs
and that is what happens when you don't walk that middle path....
...................... No no that is not true
Walking the upper road level - that is just me being wild and crazy - I'm being that girl who
use to live inside of me and still does at times. At times I even walk the shore
line and get my shoes wet - that is true adventure. It can be pretty slimy and algae-eeeuuuu
on that shore line path.
However, most of the time I walk the middle path - boring at times, yes - but I'm feeling
more and more as if I navigate that path much better -it could be my age - or maybe just a
contentment I feel as I grow beyond the stage of always needing things to make me happy -
now just being present with what I'm doing almost seems enough - I did say almost - there
are those new restaurants I see I still want to try.
(don't know who to credit the photo to)
But - there are times I really want to be a monk!!


10 comments:
Finishing up reading this, my first thought to your, "But I still want to be a monk" was that you would NOT shave your hair off! ;) But while I was looking at the photo of the bridge and reading your thoughts, since I know you so well, I definitely get it. Love that you wrote that out. Great sharing!
Sandy
Nice sharing.
I always enjoy getting to know my blogger friends.
I don't think I would make a good monk as there are too many worldly pleasures that I love too much.
I too love trying new restaurants.
We are actually going to a new one tonight.
oh...good - Hope you share the name and the type of food and if you liked it!
thanks Laura - you do know me well.
And to explain further - I use to love to meditate and find the silence especially living such a busy life - now I hardly ever meditate because I'm busy having fun.
Sandy, I love this piece! Such a beautiful photo of the bridge too. I can understand that longing for peace and solitude and quiet.
Thanks Daisy! I was longing so much for it - my longing created circumstances and events that put me somewhere I now have it. I just realized this morning - no -quite awhile ago - but it came to me again . There is hardly any traffic on our road and no close dogs that bark incessantly like I had in my last house in Wrightwood. I truly have serenity here.
It was an Indian restaurant and the food was awesome.
We are heading to Vail for the weekend and I shall be trying some more new restaurants ... looking forward to it!
If I didn't know any better I would have thought I'd invaded your body and felt what you felt be who you were, a monk, high up in the mountains...If I didn't know any better I'd think i had written this
Hi Margie - glad the restaurant was delicious. I had Indian food one timme and although I love garlic a lot - the garlic about knocked me over. Hope you are enjoying Vail - i googled some photos - I NEED to go there some day.
Hi Lorraine - Maybe we are kindred souls at some level. Have a wonderful day!
Reading this makes me sad that I don't make the time to visit your blog more often. I really identified with your feelings expressed here. I feel like I have become a recluse or monk in my inner most self. I have very content to observe, read, and contemplate these days.
Reading this makes me sad that I don't make the time to visit your blog more often. I really identified with your feelings expressed here. I feel like I have become a recluse or monk in my inner most self. I have very content to observe, read, and contemplate these days.
Post a Comment