I took this photo up in San Luis Obispo - this motel is the first one ever built in the world and I'll post an article about it under my photo.
I'll credit the article in a bit when I find the author of it.
"Then, in 1925, Arthur Heineman came along and built the very first ‘motor hotel’ or ‘mo-tel’ as he originally called it on the edge of Highway. And the rest, as they say, is history.
I'll credit the article in a bit when I find the author of it.
"It’s an easy three hour drive to San Luis Obiso from Los Angeles. But that wasn’t always the case. Back in the 1920’s, when Americans were only just discovering the joys of road trips, it was an all day one way road trip with the real adventure beginning at the end of the day when searching for somewhere to stay the night."
"Then, in 1925, Arthur Heineman came along and built the very first ‘motor hotel’ or ‘mo-tel’ as he originally called it on the edge of Highway. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Costing $80,000, the world’s first motel had 40 one-story bungalows grouped around a courtyard featuring a swimming pool and a restaurant.
Heineman had planned the Motel Inn to be the first of many motels along the length of the West Coast from San Diego to Seattle but the Great Depression intervened and it turned out to be the only motel he ever built.
This landmark motel still stands but is a mere shadow of its former self."

8 comments:
I had forgotten that I knew that somehow, but how did you come across it? Did you take a pic of it and then become curious about its history? I think it's cool that you gathered that info.
I took a pic in July when we were there and i wanted to know more about it - so i looked it up and it didn't take long at all to find out info about it.
Looks like a simple and neat place!
Wow . . . what a beautiful place!
Neat picture and interesting history to go along with it too.
I love the history about it - i had no idea until recently that it was the first motel in the world.
i agree Lon, it has a mission look about it.
Hi Daisy-Connie - ...i really enjoyed reading about it.
Post a Comment