Reminds me so much of my grandfather's house in Kansas City.
Hope your Christmas was nice. Ours was quiet but enjoyable. I was going to cook but because the weather and traffic that was traveling the mountain areas was so heavy - the friends we were expecting to come up - we cancelled - a few days before - because we didn't want them dealing with all the mess here in the mountains.
So instead of cooking we found a saloon restaurant that was open in town and the owner had cooked a delicious ham, turkey, potatoes - all kinds of sides - and was offering it free to anyone who came in and wanted a place to eat. I found out that they do this every year during the holidays. This might be my new go to place on Christmas day. I think as long as we live in a popular mountain area due to a lot of skiing higher up like Big Bear - I won't plan on going down the mountain or having people up over the holidays. It's too unpredictable what the weather will be like.
Winds have been heavy and damaging - we had no power for most of the day and evening yesterday and the winds brought down a huge tree limb on our roof - i thought it was an earthquake. Luckily no damage but we have a huge limb to deal with lying in the back yard. It fell on to the roof and upper deck railing but Mike managed to get it thrown into the back yard over the railing and there it will sit for awhile. The winds finally died down and we have power - all is good.
A few days before Christmas we did go down the mountain and over to my favorite town of Claremont where I enjoyed seeing my favorite neighborhoods and lots of them with lights up although it was daytime so didn't get to see them lit up. This particular house has always been a favorite of mine.
I don't see any snow in the forecast for the next several days - I can get back outside and enjoy the lake.
Hope your Christmas was nice. Ours was quiet but enjoyable. I was going to cook but because the weather and traffic that was traveling the mountain areas was so heavy - the friends we were expecting to come up - we cancelled - a few days before - because we didn't want them dealing with all the mess here in the mountains.
So instead of cooking we found a saloon restaurant that was open in town and the owner had cooked a delicious ham, turkey, potatoes - all kinds of sides - and was offering it free to anyone who came in and wanted a place to eat. I found out that they do this every year during the holidays. This might be my new go to place on Christmas day. I think as long as we live in a popular mountain area due to a lot of skiing higher up like Big Bear - I won't plan on going down the mountain or having people up over the holidays. It's too unpredictable what the weather will be like.
Winds have been heavy and damaging - we had no power for most of the day and evening yesterday and the winds brought down a huge tree limb on our roof - i thought it was an earthquake. Luckily no damage but we have a huge limb to deal with lying in the back yard. It fell on to the roof and upper deck railing but Mike managed to get it thrown into the back yard over the railing and there it will sit for awhile. The winds finally died down and we have power - all is good.
A few days before Christmas we did go down the mountain and over to my favorite town of Claremont where I enjoyed seeing my favorite neighborhoods and lots of them with lights up although it was daytime so didn't get to see them lit up. This particular house has always been a favorite of mine.
I don't see any snow in the forecast for the next several days - I can get back outside and enjoy the lake.
9 comments:
Sandy, we've had HORRIBLE winds here, too. At one point the whole house shook and I awoke and ran into the living room, thinking a tree must have come down. Nope. Our eucalyptus out front did lose a branch several years ago, which crashed onto the house, but it broke a few overhanging tiles, and that was it. We really DO need to get the darn thing trimmed, but our STUPID neighbors won't allow a tree-trimming truck with the bucket to come onto their property to trim the tree....oh, well...
~Cheryl Ann~ Glad you had a good meal!
Cheryl - good thing you didn't have a tree drop on you. That's something - your neighbors not allowing a trimming truck to go on to their property so you can get that tree down. Maybe they will change their mind if that tree falls on their place. We were concerned with the roof but it was too windy to get up and check it out thoroughly - which Mike will do today - we noticed the wood beams inside the house -on the ceiling one of wood panels is cracked. Not sure what the outer roof looks like up close. I'm sure their insurance will cover this but who knows what the deductible is - may be cheaper to fix it themselves. Glad the wind is over.
Wow, sorry to hear about being hit on the roof by a falling branch. Mike had better be very careful if he's going up there to check! How scary that must have been!
I can see why you mentioned Grandpa's house....it really reminds me of it too. I love that house and its setting!
ohmygosh
i never think of trees coming down! even a big branch can do damage.
i'm just so glad the huge branch didn't crash through your roof.
i have a tall slash pine just outside my big window.
it's where i like to sit and read.
if that one ever comes down... i'm a gone'er!
our wind has been awful here too.
but then the wind blows here constantly it seems.
and the lovely people fixing christmas dinner like that! for everyone!
WOW!
i still say... you live in a magical place. :) XO♥
Take care of yourself, Sandy...winds can do a lot of damage.
Oh, that could have turned out much worse. Wind can be incredibly powerful, amazing really.
I hope the New Year is filled with all kinds of good things for you and your family Sandy.
Hugs from BC Canada, G
PS: Mr. Cheddar sends a big headbonk your way too! >^^<
That's a beautiful house.
Happy 2016!
The Christmas dinner sounds like fun. Sorry to hear about the limb on your house. I guess you're lucky that it wasn't any worse than that. That is a pretty house in the photo.
ah those winds....tell me about it, I'm back I hope you will be too, at least I'll try
Post a Comment