When we were going to Joshua tree area the other day - we passed near the Palm Springs exit - but instead went north. What you see is actually very beautiful if it's a nice day with a mix of clouds and sun. These views were seen as we were coming back down into the area near Palm Springs from where we visited up in Josuha tree.
Here is an excerpt from an articles about them..
The first one by the way was put in, in 1980.
....
“There are no windmills, only wind turbines,” he explains.
And there are about 2,700 of them in San Gorgonio Wind Park — the oldest wind farm in the United States.
A wind turbine is a device that converts wind energy into mechanical energy, which is then used to produce electricity. As heat rises from the desert floor, it creates a low-pressure area filled by the cool air blowing in from the Pacific Ocean, 90 miles west, explains Tom, who has 30-plus years experience working in energy farms.
“As the wind rushes toward the desert, it is forced between the mountains (Mount San Gorgonio at 11,503 feet and Mount San Jacinto at 10,833 feet), creating a Venturi effect — similar to placing your finger on a garden hose,” he demonstrates.
Wind speeds in the pass have reached 80 mph — only 5 mph faster than a Category 1 hurricane. The area harvests enough wind energy to power about 300,000 homes. "That’s three times the amount of power we need to run Palm Springs,” Tom says.
On this Best of the Best Tour
More about them Here - if you are interested.
Do you have wind farms near you?
Here is an excerpt from an articles about them..
The first one by the way was put in, in 1980.
....
“There are no windmills, only wind turbines,” he explains.
And there are about 2,700 of them in San Gorgonio Wind Park — the oldest wind farm in the United States.
A wind turbine is a device that converts wind energy into mechanical energy, which is then used to produce electricity. As heat rises from the desert floor, it creates a low-pressure area filled by the cool air blowing in from the Pacific Ocean, 90 miles west, explains Tom, who has 30-plus years experience working in energy farms.
“As the wind rushes toward the desert, it is forced between the mountains (Mount San Gorgonio at 11,503 feet and Mount San Jacinto at 10,833 feet), creating a Venturi effect — similar to placing your finger on a garden hose,” he demonstrates.
Wind speeds in the pass have reached 80 mph — only 5 mph faster than a Category 1 hurricane. The area harvests enough wind energy to power about 300,000 homes. "That’s three times the amount of power we need to run Palm Springs,” Tom says.
On this Best of the Best Tour
More about them Here - if you are interested.
Do you have wind farms near you?
13 comments:
In the past I drove past those so often when i was headed out there to work and never liked the sight of them! Yet on a beautiful day I can see that they photograph great. I was usually driving through wind and sand pitting my windshield and heat the size of an elephant! ;) Beautiful job on the photos of them!
I remember all those wind turbines when we traveled to Palm Springs , I took a lot of pics but they sure don't look like your pics!
Beautiful shots, Sandy.
Just amazing all those wind turbines!
Love road pictures too!
oh Sandy I love the photos you take, they are always outstanding and i hope that the sever drought is solved, I would love to be able to travel and take photos, magnificent, truly
thanks everyone. I want to put up some today of the old colorful buildings in town.
No I don't. Thankfully.
Most of these "wonderful" new devices, _we_ are being forced to use, don't make a difference. Since we are enabling the not-give-a-damn-about-green-countries, to fill the atmosphere with bad stuff. Our "dent" doesn't make a difference. It only allows politicians, who want to be known as 'green,' to applaud themselves. Yish.....
All that stuff you buy, which is Made In China, do you think all that stuff, is make, in a "green" factory?????
"the old colorful buildings in town."
Yessss!
:-))))
I always love reading your opinions Tessa - keep it up. I may not always agree but I like different view points.
About wind turbines - at first I didn't like the looks of them - but if you look with "different eyes" they actually look like works of art to me in their patterns, etc. Nothing wrong with harnessing what wind power does. .We certainly have enough of wind events here in Southern California, Santa Ana's being such an event which we get a lot of strong winds. They can destroy (burn our forests, etc) but they can also be a source for energy. I think they should be used in Las Vegas - now that's where they need to cut back on their exorbitant power use and water use. About China - I shop sometimes at Walmart so I have nothing to say about that, lol. I do have lots I could say about Corexit used in the gulf - radiation coming in from Japan into our west coast ocean...oh I could go on and on - but I put on my rosy glasses today and I'm off to play!
I have driven through a couple of places in Ohio that have the wind turbines. I kind of like the way they look. I think they look pretty and kind of graceful. Neat photos!
I have seen wind turbines but they did not look at pretty as those you show. I like picture no. 5 – it makes the turbine look like a sculpture. The blue mountains in the background bring a lot of relief too.
I've been wanting to visit the wind turbines in Ilocos Philippines as they're stunning beside the seashore. These are lovely too. Wonderful creations. :)
Have a fantastic weekend!
Come back soon ...miss all your great photos.
Hope all is well ...
Hi Margie and all - been busy with family things and finally had time to get on the laptop and visit. All is well - just really busy.
thanks everyone for your visit and comments .
Post a Comment