You rarely see a house with grass although once in awhile you run across one. Because my yard is dirt - it actually takes a lot of work if I want it to look nice. When we first moved in there was old bark over the whole yard - ugly.
It took me a long time to clear it out.
There is winter grass that blows in, weeds galore from all the bird seed that drops, hundreds of little cedar trees start sprouting up ...and then there is the pie needles and seed pods that blow off the trees in the fall and winter - that is a job that can keep me busy for days.
Last summer I tried planting container gardens. I don't have a green thumb and for some reason I lost most of the plants either from birds, squirrels and gophers or not protecting them in the winter . I'll learn.
So i took some photos after I worked for about 5 hours yesterday (not counting other days). I actually am getting quite fond of just plain dirt yards. It doesn't take a lot of water to keep it up, there is no mowing and once I've got it all weeded and cleaned out I just rake once in awhile and that's it. There is still more to be done which I'll get to today.
Soon my neighbor Carrie's garden will be blooming (and hers is beautiful. She is right on the other side of the fence behind where I'm standing to take these pics. I get to enjoy her garden (and our visits over the fence this time of year) but don't have to keep it weeded and watered.
I wake up to the sound of birds every morning because beyond this fence is a whole grove of trees and they sing and crow and caw and it's a nice sound. The jays never shut up until I put their peanuts out. And yesterday a Raven came into the yard and spent some time eating something I put out. And soon - we need to tackle the storage shed - it's unorganized and quite a mess. I'm not looking forward to that job.
This cat has been a frequent visitor lately.
That's it for now, gotta get moving.
It took me a long time to clear it out.
This is a third of an acre so it's not a small yard but most of the yard is up to the left of the photo - and goes uphill way up to the street level. I pretty much leave that area beyond the fence alone because it's way too steep.
But I enjoy working on the flat area in the back - but it takes a lot of work to clean it up again after winter.
There is winter grass that blows in, weeds galore from all the bird seed that drops, hundreds of little cedar trees start sprouting up ...and then there is the pie needles and seed pods that blow off the trees in the fall and winter - that is a job that can keep me busy for days.
I do have a lot of pots and I'll be planting them again plus I brought several inside so they are going back out probably on the upper deck.
I have phony sunflowers on the table there but will soon get some sunflower seeds in the ground for the birds and I to enjoy. I'll plant more pots and set them around. A lot of work along the fence line from winter grass and weeds that were taking over.
So i took some photos after I worked for about 5 hours yesterday (not counting other days). I actually am getting quite fond of just plain dirt yards. It doesn't take a lot of water to keep it up, there is no mowing and once I've got it all weeded and cleaned out I just rake once in awhile and that's it. There is still more to be done which I'll get to today.
I wake up to the sound of birds every morning because beyond this fence is a whole grove of trees and they sing and crow and caw and it's a nice sound. The jays never shut up until I put their peanuts out. And yesterday a Raven came into the yard and spent some time eating something I put out. And soon - we need to tackle the storage shed - it's unorganized and quite a mess. I'm not looking forward to that job.
This cat has been a frequent visitor lately.
That's it for now, gotta get moving.
13 comments:
First...where was the banner photo shot? It's beautiful! And I enjoyed seeing how great your yard looks right now...and I know it had to be a heck of a lot of work because of all the different things going on with the weeds and all. I only had to replace about four plants that got frozen during those two days of winter we had...lol. The dirt part gets so little water that there aren't even any weeds to deal with! ;) Has that cat adopted you...oh, wait a minute! The birds are probably drawing that cat to your property.
Oh my , your header shot is incredible!
I have been working on my yard most of the day and I am so tired now but a good tired!
Nice to see the photos of your yard and the cat ..is he a neighborhood cat?
Time to go cook dinner here as hubby will be home soon ..wish I had a cook like you do! LOL
I love the photo in your header too! I need to get out and start doing yard clean up too. It hasn't been warm enough for enough days in a row yet, but it will be soon. I enjoyed seeing your pictures.
The banner is from Old Mill area in Bend - over by the restaurants and shops. It was a rainy evening and we were quickly walking into a shop when I saw the scene. Yes your little garden is so pretty but definitely easy to take care of.
I can't tell if the cat is a stray or not - she shows up now every day and looks very pregnant from the right angle. The banner was taken in Bend at a shopping center...thanks Margie.
thanks Daisy - hope you can get out soon and enjoy spring time.
Love the photos of your yard, Sandy! The cat looks cute.
Gorgeous the photo of your header!
Thanks for your visits and nice comments on my blog. :)
Thank you for the yard tour. I love to see around houses, of bloggers!
Please explain the green building, to the left of the pictures? I think that is the shed. And your house, is just beyond it. But never having seen around your home before, I can't get the perspective correctly, for sure.
Please and thank you.
Oh how lucky, to live with so many trees and birds. !!!!!!
It does look like a lot of work but sweetie what you have here is Gold, so many trees and birds and you can plant anything eventually something will grow, I know 'cause i'm the worse, but when Ihad my house and huge backyard I use to stake wild flowers and throw them everywhere they wanted to be thrown and had the most beautiful wild flowers...so hesitate, don't worry about a green thumb or not nature will take care of it just throw it some seeds here and there you may be surprised! Either I am thrilled for you that you have your own house, enjoy it
thanks Sonia.
Hi Tessa - yes a storage shed - house is to the left behind the shed - two story and i think you can see the top of it. In time i'll post more photos. I'll do some of the kitchen next.
Hi Lorraine - it seems to be just in the mountains i have problems. I had a green thumb when I lived down below - had a big yard and lots of flowers back then. I'll have to post photos of it some day. I threw down wildflower seeds and nothing grew - i think the birds ate it all. The problem here is all the wildlife we have in the mountains.
hum, i get that, of course they have to eat......
Post a Comment