When walking Claremont - I'm always intrigued by this house - I mean really intrigued - I want to walk back through their driveway and see what kind of yard art is back there.
Off the topic of this house - Dewena asked in a comment if I ever get asked by people why I am taking photos of their house. In all the years I have walked neighborhoods and took photos (since about 2004 to 2005) there have been only two times it has happened - and they both happened in the last six months up in the mountains where I live - but on the other side of the lake and up a hill. One guy came out as I was photographing his beautiful garden in front and asked me why. I said I love flowers, gardens and beautiful houses and I thought his was. Well, he didn't yell or scream at me...he wasn't overly friendly, ...but then not unfriendly either. I turned to go and said have a nice day and I think he said something along the same line.
I think people in small towns especially mountain towns are somewhat different in that they look out for each other and themselves. Knowing that he didn't really like me doing that I won't go by his house again with my camera.
Another time was just down the street and around the corner - some guy yelled out (I didn't see him outside or I wouldn't have photogaphed his place) "hey why are you photographing my place." I just said "uh....well.......gee I don't know - I don't even like it"...
Naw - not really - I said something similar about photographing and drawing cabins and then hurried on my way - I hardly looked him in the eyes. I won't make that mistake again. I don't blame people for wanting to know the reason someone is taking photos of their places. I try to photograph houses usually...that look like no one is home or near a window. If I see someone outside I hold my camera at waist level and use the LCD screen instead of the viewfinder so they really never know what I am doing. Another way I do it is have Mike drive and I take photos while he drives - it's kind of like a getaway car. lol
Here is the front of the house and I know there is a front porch in there somewhere.
I love when cats sit in windows and talk about us humans as we walk by - I'm sure if they could speak my language - they would be asking me why I take photos of their window.
All this cat wanted was to be petted. He followed us until Mike reached down and scratched his ears.
Uh... do my ears again.
Another cat below who looks out for people with cameras.
Damn - he saw me.
and before I sold my house - where I raised a family - hosted weddings in the yard, and watched my niece as a bride walk up the steps of the bridge and over to the gazebo to get married....I would sit on my own front porch and take photos of the birds ALL of the time. This is where I really got into bird watching. These are two of my favorite from way back when (about 2006)...
Hope your Sunday has been wonderful. See ya tomorrow.
Off the topic of this house - Dewena asked in a comment if I ever get asked by people why I am taking photos of their house. In all the years I have walked neighborhoods and took photos (since about 2004 to 2005) there have been only two times it has happened - and they both happened in the last six months up in the mountains where I live - but on the other side of the lake and up a hill. One guy came out as I was photographing his beautiful garden in front and asked me why. I said I love flowers, gardens and beautiful houses and I thought his was. Well, he didn't yell or scream at me...he wasn't overly friendly, ...but then not unfriendly either. I turned to go and said have a nice day and I think he said something along the same line.
I think people in small towns especially mountain towns are somewhat different in that they look out for each other and themselves. Knowing that he didn't really like me doing that I won't go by his house again with my camera.
Another time was just down the street and around the corner - some guy yelled out (I didn't see him outside or I wouldn't have photogaphed his place) "hey why are you photographing my place." I just said "uh....well.......gee I don't know - I don't even like it"...
Naw - not really - I said something similar about photographing and drawing cabins and then hurried on my way - I hardly looked him in the eyes. I won't make that mistake again. I don't blame people for wanting to know the reason someone is taking photos of their places. I try to photograph houses usually...that look like no one is home or near a window. If I see someone outside I hold my camera at waist level and use the LCD screen instead of the viewfinder so they really never know what I am doing. Another way I do it is have Mike drive and I take photos while he drives - it's kind of like a getaway car. lol
Here is the front of the house and I know there is a front porch in there somewhere.
I love when cats sit in windows and talk about us humans as we walk by - I'm sure if they could speak my language - they would be asking me why I take photos of their window.
All this cat wanted was to be petted. He followed us until Mike reached down and scratched his ears.
Uh... do my ears again.
Another cat below who looks out for people with cameras.
Damn - he saw me.
and before I sold my house - where I raised a family - hosted weddings in the yard, and watched my niece as a bride walk up the steps of the bridge and over to the gazebo to get married....I would sit on my own front porch and take photos of the birds ALL of the time. This is where I really got into bird watching. These are two of my favorite from way back when (about 2006)...
Hope your Sunday has been wonderful. See ya tomorrow.
16 comments:
I like that oh so colorful first house, it looks like a fun place. I see you feed mourning doves too, I think they are pretty with their subtle hues.
Thanks for visiting Terra. It looks like a wild and crazy house. Yes I did feed doves and I still do - even here in the mountains - I counted 9 yesterday on the ground cleaning up the seed that drops. They are too big for the feeders so everyday when I give them clean water i always take a cup or so of wild bird seed and spread it around on the ground. That way they can eat as well as their smaller bird friends who can fit on the feeders.
Thank you for answering my question, Sandy! I think I'll try to get up my nerve to take some photos. I guess most people who have beautiful gardens and houses might be used to people using their cameras. I love your shots of the doves, I am very partial to mourning doves. Something so sweet about them and the noise they make.
Hi Dewena - your welcome. One of the reasons I photograph so many houses ...well a couple reasons - ..I love historical homes and homes that look different from a tract of cookie cutter houses which is what I grew up in when we lived in Covina. That is one reason. The other reason is I like to sketch and every time I take a photo of a house I like - i'm thinking to myself maybe I'll sketch it. So if someone does ask - I would also say that I love to sketch different styles of houses. I forgot about one house though - it was the house we lived in, before we moved in 1984 to the house we owned for lots of years. I went back to the old neighborhood and took photos as we rounded the corner (we lived on a corner). We left the tract and was on a busy street near by when a woman drove up right next to us and asked us why we were photographing the house. I told her we use to own it.
She became friendly and asked us if we would like to see it again. We ended up going back and getting to see inside the house. I don't know how I forgot about it until just a minute ago. Hope you get up the nerve to take photos - it's kind of an enjoyable hobby.
First, I love the heading, second I do the same, and am asked questions like are you buying paid to take photos of old houses for the municipality to which i usually respond, no i just love it, to why are you taking photos of my house, because I love it I say, no worries no one knows this street, where I blog, totally unknown, to because I love your garden....if I'm really questioned i tell them to come out they don't like it I'll delete. To probably the meanest: 'One day, THIS, will get you killed' but wow I'd love to die that way...standing taking a photo...99% percent of the people are agreeable and friendly, thank God! I love all the photos, houses, cats and those two last bird photos: EXQUISITE!!!! Way to go Sandy!
A couple of things. First, that painting sure looks like a Bierstadt! I couldn't find a photo of that exact painting, but it sure looks like his style. Second, you should drive through Sierra Madre sometime! There are a lot of old, quaint homes up there! I grew up in Arcadia, so Sierra Madre was our neighboring city. HA! That is, WHEN you have TIME! :-) Finally, I think I'm going to have our son build me a railing right outside my window so I can sit and watch (and take photos) of the birds!
Cheryl Ann
I prefer the husband-drives-get-away-car method myself... -grinnnn-
Loved your comment about how u handle being asked about photos. Thanks Lorraine. I think a lot of it for me is also a gut feeling - if I get a feeling to bypass a certain house that I want to "photograph" maybe it's good to follow it. Never had one say One day this will get you killed. Yikes. never thought of that.
Hi Cheryl - I'll google images and see if I can find this by Bierstadt - good to at least have a clue to start. Oh I love Sierra Madre. I use to work in Arcadia and every once i;n awhile would drive through there. They even have that cute little store and I think there was a cafe connected to it. I actually went there maybe 5 years ago - now I have a new reason to get into my external drive and see if I can find pics. The streets are so darn narrow - and some are steep. Now we have a jeep which would be perfect for driving through there. Yes !! If u had a place to sit and watch birds u would enjoy it a lot.
I do feel more freer in the car - but then I can't get the angles I want, ha. But both ways are fun.
wow I love his American West landscapes. I see what you mean. Back to looking at his art!
Just realized that we may be talking about two different areas - I was talking about Sierra Madre Canyon - all the eclectic cottages, cabins and houses there. U may be referring to the overall area - not sure. I haven't actually driven through much of Sierra Madre other than the canyon.
So first I want to comment on how good those little Kodak cameras were that we both had. Those two bird photos are absolutely perfection! Am I right...was it your Kodak digital? And of course it would be so great to get back into that area of the colorful house and see what else it there and also the inside must be very creative too I would think! I was asked only twice why I was photographing someone's house. The first time it was an older woman who probably was suspicious of me doing it and I told her I loved the greenery growing all around it and on it. The second time the homeowner was sitting on her porch...she and her husband had restored the house from it's Victorian roots to a very beautiful multicolored updated Victorian with fruit trees and beautiful gardens. She got us some fruit to take home and said we could come back anytime to get some more. She gave me a wonderful history of the house and of the Mission area and creek from when she lived there way back in time and described the flooding that happened and how it affected the area. It was so cool to talk with her!
oh sandy. these pictures. the birds... be still my heart.
you know i used to follow a wonderful blog.
a lady who lived in carmel by the sea.
i know people only say carmel. but i so do love the whole name.
anyway... she would just walk right into the back yards of all the cottages! people sometimes were at home ... and she would knock and ask.
if they weren't she would take pictures anyway and always leave her card!!! wow. i could never do that. but it worked for her.
and she took the most amazing pictures. your blog reminds me of her. well... not the walking in brazenly part. LOLOL.
the quality of the photography i mean! XO♥
i just love your walks around.
Thanks so much Tammy - ...I loved reading about the woman who walked in people's back yards - wow!! I do not have that kind of nerve (wish I did) but have often wanted to see the back yard of places. In Alta Loma where I lived before the mountains I had the opportunity to walk down horse trails all the time on my walks because it was zoned for horses. I had the most beautiful walks through those trails and saw many backyards ...which I will post soon.. Wow, i would love to see her blog - I think I'll get "googling" soon and find it if it's listed.
Great pictures here, Sandy. That house is really tucked away in there! I love to see cats looking out of windows too.
Post a Comment