I've been pondering lately and many times in the past - why do I love California so much.
I love Oregon - and have only been to Washington when I'm at Seattle Airport. I have been to upper Washington but only at a hotel overnight and also Northern Idaho, not far from the Canadian Border, but that's the Pacific Northwest so it really doesn't belong in this post.
Returning to the subject of Southwest I've also been to Arizona - Southern (spent a lot of three day vacations near Havasu Lake and in the Northern areas have been to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff and other smaller towns. Hawaii I've gone twice once to Honolulu and then two weeks in Maui. Of course, being about 4 hours away, I've been to Nevada quite often in the past. The only Pacific Southwest state I haven't been to other than driving through as a kid is Utah.
So basically I LOVE the Pacific Southwest. When I go through my photos of different areas I love I have such gratitude for the opportunities to visit it all, Mountains, deserts, many different costal areas of our Pacific ocean, central coast where my sister lives, San Francisco where my son lived up until a few months ago but I haven't really gotten to travel Northern California which i would love to do some day.
I noticed whenever the commercial for Jeep Wrangler came on, no matter what I was doing if I heard it I stopped and just listened and watched the commercial. It always reminds me of what I love about where I live.
I did live in Kansas until I was 10 so I do have a love for what I remember of the midwest.
But I'm curious whoever is reading this post comes from different areas and I would love to know what you most feel gratitude for when you think about your state. Everyone must have things they love and would miss if they moved away. So if you feel like sharing I'd love to hear it.
On to my front porch post -Today it is from San Luis Obispo - central California not far from the coast. I probably posted these before but it was over a year ago and they will be part of my front porch posts.
Railroad tracks from town to neighborhoods - fun to walk the tracks!
A part of down town I always like to walk through.
This is a new part but built to blend in with the older architecture.
I love Oregon - and have only been to Washington when I'm at Seattle Airport. I have been to upper Washington but only at a hotel overnight and also Northern Idaho, not far from the Canadian Border, but that's the Pacific Northwest so it really doesn't belong in this post.
Returning to the subject of Southwest I've also been to Arizona - Southern (spent a lot of three day vacations near Havasu Lake and in the Northern areas have been to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff and other smaller towns. Hawaii I've gone twice once to Honolulu and then two weeks in Maui. Of course, being about 4 hours away, I've been to Nevada quite often in the past. The only Pacific Southwest state I haven't been to other than driving through as a kid is Utah.
So basically I LOVE the Pacific Southwest. When I go through my photos of different areas I love I have such gratitude for the opportunities to visit it all, Mountains, deserts, many different costal areas of our Pacific ocean, central coast where my sister lives, San Francisco where my son lived up until a few months ago but I haven't really gotten to travel Northern California which i would love to do some day.
I noticed whenever the commercial for Jeep Wrangler came on, no matter what I was doing if I heard it I stopped and just listened and watched the commercial. It always reminds me of what I love about where I live.
I did live in Kansas until I was 10 so I do have a love for what I remember of the midwest.
But I'm curious whoever is reading this post comes from different areas and I would love to know what you most feel gratitude for when you think about your state. Everyone must have things they love and would miss if they moved away. So if you feel like sharing I'd love to hear it.
On to my front porch post -Today it is from San Luis Obispo - central California not far from the coast. I probably posted these before but it was over a year ago and they will be part of my front porch posts.
Railroad tracks from town to neighborhoods - fun to walk the tracks!
A part of down town I always like to walk through.
This is a new part but built to blend in with the older architecture.

















14 comments:
First question: Did you take that banner photo? It looks SO beautiful. I'm loving looking at my area through your eyes/camera and I would dearly miss this area if we were actually to move to Washington. (E has been talking it up a lot lately). Then again, I think it would be fun to explore a whole new area and see the whole state. But maybe I wouldn't like the weather? I don't know. I think it would be fun if we could all move there and spend our days finding news area to photograph and hike through, don't you? And there are beautiful areas that cost so much less to live in and have more property and house size than we can afford in California.
Agreed - the rents or mortgages in California are skyrocketing - can't believe how much it costs now to live in San Francisco - Silicone valley techies moving to San Francisco - I would love some day to try a different state and explore but for now I'm happy at least that we have so much diversity. Yes I took that banner photo - found the originals and was able to edit them properly.
Gorgeous Banner pic, btw.
I was born, raised, and have lived my whole life in NYS. Up near the foothills of the old Adirondack Mountains. I love that I can see mountains, without going very far... All the green... We live in a city, but it feels more like a big village to me. No sky-scrapers, thankfully.... and we have a real downtown... I love the 4 seasons. Even with the eventual ice/snow. I'd be bereft if I didn't have all 4 seasons.
Tessa
So glad you shared - i had no idea you lived in upstate New York. For some reason I thought you more like in Tennesee. Loved reading what you love about your state and where you live. So cool- thanks!
Beautiful banner photo, Sandy! South Pasadena has lots of Craftsman houses...have you been there? Also, Sierra Madre has some nice old houses, too. We travel to Waldo Ward about once a year and stock up on jams and jellies. They have a lovely old red barn there, too. We took the grandson on our visit this summer, on our way up to the Eastern Sierra.
Cheryl
Waldo Ward?? Never heard of it - i need to check that out. I love Sierra Madre and South Pasadena but haven't been there for a long long time - good suggestion though. I'm going to google Waldo Ward right now! thanks Cheryl.
my mother was from upstate new york.
my father was a texan.
we moved a LOT because of his job. so home was ny virginia colorado minnesota ... on and on..
when my dad died very young... mother and the marine and i moved back here to oklahoma where his family lived.
i married an oklahoma boy. they never leave. and now that he's gone... apparently i don't either!
i love mountains and the sea and have lived near both. and we have none of either right here where i am.
but i guess i'd have to say... there is a spirit of the oklahoman.
despite drought... tornadoes... and a lack of interesting terrain... the people manage to create beauty.
and they have a friendliness not found in a lot of other states. and they help each other through any crisis.
and the cost of living is not astronomical.
but...
oh... to be able to walk where you do... i can't help it. scarlet o'hara and i are "pea green with envy!" XO♥
Wonderful pictures! I've lived in Ohio all my life. I love the spring flowers and the fall leaves and the,for the most part, mild summers. Winters I could easily live without!
Tammy - a real pleasure reading about all the places you have lived and then settled in Oklahoma. I get for sure the charm - the people, and the beauty- but the down home feel would be what I would remember most , the friendliness etc. Coming from the midwest there is a beauty that you can't' find elsewhere. I will say when I have traveled to areas like Prescott Arizona - they have a saying when you enter the town it says "Everybody's Home Town." I actually identified with the town and would say to Mike that I feel like I'm in the midwest in my own hometown - then I would walk into another area down by the creek that runs through town and I would feel that I was in San Luis Obispo where my sister lives - ...it is amazing and I almost want to say does Prescott really exist as a separate city/town entity - or is it a twilight zone thing - where anybody who visits there finds a familiarity with their own home town. really strange. Sure loved reading your post.
I always like it when I read someone say they have lived somewhere their whole ife - I am actually amazed. I've often wondered who I would be - what I would do - how my personality would be different if we had lived in Kansas and never moved from our small town. Love that you would miss spring and fall ...mild summers (which is nice to read I had no idea what your summers are like - and yeah, winter back there would be something to deal with. thanks for responding and playing along with my curiousity.
i googled in general foothill cities and town of Adirondaks - wow beautiful areas!! I would love to visit upstate New York . I've only been to Manhattan which is well - night/day difference I'm sure - although I LOVED the nightlight and energy in the city. I always felt I would love to live a year in Manhattan - (if I was wealthy) and have an apartment near Central Park.
I googled Waldo Ward - I need to visit there sometimes!! And would definitely love a trip to the eastern Sierra - never been there. I use to love to drive through the canyons in Sierra Madre.
I know this is late to the party, but I'm just now catching up with all my friends after my blog break.
I grew up in Arcadia, California and the thing I miss most is the Oak trees. It sounds odd, but they're different in California than what we have here in N. Az. I also miss flowers like Agapanthus and other flowers that love it there that we can't grow here.
That said, this is my very favorite place I've ever lived. And you're right... the downtown is like the mid-west ;) But mostly, I love that it's got all four seasons, it has the mountains that I missed while living on the other side of the country, it's friendly, and the best part.. it is the home to my little cottage.
xo
Wow, Rue, I worked in Arcadia for years and the Monrovia. Didn't know the Oak trees are different. Yes that downtown (I'm talking Prescott - i think u are referring to that)...love it so much. And I love your cottage - If I owned a place again - I would sure enjoy decorating it. I miss that about being a renter - there is so much to i'd like to change - but I love the mountains and the little lake nearby. Thanks for commenting.
Post a Comment