Sunday, February 8, 2015

BLUE JAY TO LAKE ARROWHEAD

Yesterday "Papa" took one of the grandsons to a movie and I took out to have a few hours to myself.  Blue Jay is about 7 minutes away and Lake Arrowhead about 10.  Up here in the mountains from Crestline to Lake Arrowhead almost feels like one big community with a few miles separating the lakes.  I've heard that the people in Lake Arrowhead snub their noses at the people who live in Crestline.  I don't know if that is true or not.  

Lake Arrowhead was once a famous  destination for celebrities who wanted to get out of Los Angeles and have retreats in the mountains.  I think this was in the 40's onward.  A lot of celebrities still live in Arrowhead including the only one I happened to read about ... Lindsay Wagner (Bionic Woman). 

The only claim to fame that I know about in Crestline is it is home to a large compound for Church of Scientology - they have property right off of the 18 hwy - just up about 3 miles from where we live.  I have taken photos of the outside and it is well-guarded.  The gossip is - no one who goes in ever comes out and that they are holding Shelley Miscavige (the leader's wife) as captive there.  Lots of strange things have gone on in these mountains I guess or... it is just more local gossip.    

Crestline is more blue collar people (although there are some really nice properties here)   and Lake Arrowhead is white collar - lots more money.  Poor Crestline gets picked on a lot by the "upper class" as the rumor is there are a lot of tweakers around here - I have never experienced any problems with crime or drugs but who am I to say the rumor isn't true.  Personally I love Crestline - so many nice welcoming people and a very down home small town atmosphere and less expensive to live here than Arrowhead.

Once in awhile I like to hang out for the day in Arrowhead where I like their lake, their sunsets, and their food.

Yesterday I took a lot of photos and will share a few right now.  The day started out sunny and bright and by 4:00 the clouds were rolling in and it was so beautiful.

Lake Arrowhead is a "private" lake - we commoners cannot place a step on its' shores unless you have property rights.  Crestline and Big Bear lakes get a lot of tourists in the summer because they are open to the public.  


 I have read that the water is not very clean in Arrowhead and some of the old mansions that had bad plumbing - well a lot of not so good stuff went into the lake - (don't know if I believe this)  - and Lake Gregory here in Crestline  supposedly has the clearest and most clean water of the lakes up here. (but what about the ozone)...

One thing i found out by reading something last night - I thought we were above the smog and bad air - it feels like it, it looks like it and it smells so clean up here - but, I read we have a high ozone level (odorless) as Crestline seems topographically to "catch" and "trap" it up here.  Well darn - wasn't so happy to read this.  I guess we could be a "filter" so by the time the air reaches higher altitudes like Lake Arrowhead - their air is pristine, lol. 




 The village seen across the water is where the restaurants and shops are - and the cute ducks and seagulls.








well that's it for now - except to make myself feel better about ozone  I'll add an inspiring quote about mountains.


....Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame!  William Butler Yeats.

9 comments:

Connie said...

Cool pictures! It is interesting how the houses are all built on the sides of the mountain like that. I'm used to lands being mostly flat. :)

cat's momma said...

Beautiful shots but the first one is my favorite! Loved reading more about the communities up there. Having visited both Arrowhead and Crestline, I prefer Crestline myself. It feels more welcoming and has its beauty.

Margie said...

Like Laura, I also loved reading about the communities up there and your shots are beautiful ...
Always so enjoy my visits here, Sandy.


sandy said...

thanks Margie, Daisy and Laura - ...And also there are about 3 smaller little town on the way to Lake Arrowhead, Twin Peaks...to Blue Jay...to Arrowhead - that is the interior way..on the rim is a few more Rim Forest and Sky Forest.

Wanda said...

Those last shots of the homes nestled in the hills are wonderful.

Lux G. said...

Those pictures of houses look idyllic. Like straight from a postcard.

Out of Sight L said...

wonderful photos it hurts and heals to look upon them, bravo Sandy

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

love all the local lore and gossip!!!
,-)

very cool looking homes, across the water.

do celebrities still come, or did that "go out" with time passing?

"....Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame!" William Butler Yeats.

oh yes! oh yes! oh yes!!! :-)))

sandy said...

thanks for coming by - and...

Tessa - I imagine - with some of the mansions (which I have posted photos of) - there are probably several who have a second home here - there are multi million dollar places up in those hills and I'll share photos as I get them. Thanks Lorraine, SuperLux and Wanda...

And just to add - then there is Big Bear which have some super homes too but for some reason I think it is Lake Arrowhead that attracts people with money...

Labels

12 tomatoe site (1) agua fria (1) around town (2) Arrowbear (1) Arroyo Grande (2) art (1) artsy art (1) atascadero (2) autumn (1) autumn birds (1) Avila Beach (1) back deck (1) Balboa Island (1) beanie (4) bears (1) Bend (10) bend daily front porch (1) big bear (1) Big Bear City (1) bird (1) bird farm (1) bird farm magnolia (1) bird house (1) birds (2) blue (1) blue jay (1) botanical gardens (1) burnt mill road (1) ca (1) california (2) Cambria (1) carrie's garden (1) cat (5) cats (2) cayucos (1) cedar glen (7) cedar pines park (1) central coast (3) central coast visit (1) chicken lime and cilantro (1) christmas (1) city scenes (2) claremont (23) Claremont front porch (1) coast (2) Corona (1) Corral (1) Covina (3) crestline (9) crestline front porch (1) crochet. (1) daffodils (1) dailiy front porch (1) daily (1) daily front porch (36) daily front porch CLAREMONT (1) daily front porch claremont (1) daily front porch COVINA (1) Daily porch (2) dog (1) doggie day care (1) dogs (1) drone over china (1) duarte (1) fall (1) fall 2015 (1) family garden (1) favorite house #1 (1) ferry (1) fog (1) front porch (78) front porch Bend (1) front porch crestline (1) front porch daily (5) front porch deck crestline (1) front porch Laverne (1) front porch post (6) front porch rim forest (1) front porch SLO (1) front porch Upland (1) Front Porches (1) frontp porch (1) glendora (1) granddaughters (1) grandson (1) great falls (1) green valley lake (1) grobeak (1) halcyon (1) heaps peak (1) heron (1) horse (1) hummingbirds (1) hwy 38 (1) ice (1) jake (1) keller peak (1) kinkade (1) kittens (3) la maison boheme (1) lake arrowhead (9) lake arrowhead. (1) Lake Gregory area (1) lake gregory dogs (1) laugh a lot (1) Laverne (5) leaves. claremont (1) local (1) lopez lake (1) love birds (1) mac and jake (1) mackenzie (1) Magnolia Bird farm (1) mansion redlands (1) mice (1) mirror pond (1) monrovia (3) montana (1) morro bay gallery (1) mountain rim (1) mountain towns (1) mountains (1) mouse (1) ms. feral (1) mt. baldy (3) my street (1) Northwest Crossing (1) oak glen (3) ocean (1) oceano (1) olalla (2) Ontario (4) Oregon (5) Oro (1) parrots (1) paso robles (4) pelicans (2) PET pacific electric trail (1) pets (1) Pismo Beach (1) Pismo trip (1) playground (1) port orchard (3) poulsbo (1) Prescott (1) rainbow (1) Redlands (5) rim highway (1) rim of the world (1) riverside (6) roosters (1) RUNNING SPRINGS (1) san antonio heights (1) san luis obispo (5) san simeon (1) santa barbara courthouse (1) santa's village (1) seagulls (1) seahawks (1) seattle (4) sky park (1) SLO (3) snow (2) snow in March (1) snow white (1) squirrel (1) sugarloaf (1) sunset (3) tacoma (2) temecula (1) Templeton (1) Thompson creek trail (1) thunder snow (1) toni's (1) tulips (1) Twin Peaks (3) typewriter (1) Upland (8) valentine's day (1) valley of moon (1) vashon island (1) VOE (1) walk (1) washington (1) western bluebird (1) wrightwood (6) WW (1) zebras (2)