Monday, August 17, 2015

GROWING UP IN COVINA - DAILY FRONT PORCH

Actually a part of Covina called Charter Oak - that was once orange groves.  In the late 50's houses were built in what was once orange groves and in 1960 when we moved here - any given morning I would wake up and could smell oranges.  They left a few orange trees on each lot where they built houses.

I will eventually do more posts for front porches from this area so I can record bits of my youth on my blog..like the time my friend Patty and I found playboys in a dumpster when we were in 5th grade and spent the afternoon huddled in her room shocked that women would pose naked - and also shocked that a woman's body could look like they did in those magazines - no mothers that I came into contact with ever looked like that.

There was a park that wasn't real close to our house but I did venture to this area as I got older and had friends with cars.  It was maybe 5 miles from my house but the park had a big swimming pool.  I did swim there once or twice but even when I was younger I was kind of turned off by the thought of all the people that might pee in the pool.

This house is just down the street from Covina park and the Covina Plunge.  We still go over to this area once or twice a year to walk around.  The last time was in February.  There are a lot of older homes and also a section entitled ....can't remember the name....but where many movies were filmed on this particular street.

Two trivial facts - Parts of Wayne's World was filmed on Citrus Avenue - the scenes where they were singing Bohemian Rapsody in the car after picking up their friend - ...and the show Roswell also had scenes filmed in Covina.  So an itsy bitsy part of Hollywood came to Covina - I'm sure there were other films shooting scenes ...some I don't know about but one I do remember was "Sandpiper" with Elizabeth Taylor - actually that was San Dimas at the Cal Poly campus - ..that was exciting - we lived closer to that area than we did to the Covina Park.  Unless I'm dreaming or having a false memory  I believe I rode my bicycle up there while the filming was going on - Laura - do u remember anything from that time.

















Wayne's World


Roswell.



10 comments:

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

White... So pretty.... Home...

Love the memories!

Tessa

cat's momma said...

Wow, that's a big house! I remember we rode our bikes in that area and I also think we went home to tell Mom and she drove us up to that area where they were filming because she wanted to see Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. The only scene we saw was those two coming out of a large building that was probably being used as the facade to a house or something. By the way I thought there were some scenes from Back to the Future shot in Covina or one of the close towns nearby. I remember swimming at the Plunge at that park too.

cat's momma said...

Correction: Back to the Future shot scenes in Chino and South Pasadena., City of Industry, Whittier

Wanda said...

Wow I practically live in your old stomping grounds. We live in Baldwin Park right next to Covina. Know the changes are unbelievable.l

Connie said...

Such pretty houses! I think it would be so cool to have an orange tree in my yard.

sandy said...

Thanks all - Wanda - I was in Baldwin Park when I was working as a medical transcriptionist -twice a week delivering transcripts back to the orthopedist I worked for. Cool that have that thing in common - that area.

sandy said...

didn't know that - thanks for the info

Unknown said...

WOW these are gorgeous...wow, imagine having that kind of money, oh wow

sandy said...

Yes - I believe that what one can imagine, one can have - so let's keep imagining.

tammy j said...

do you know... i've been all over this country... but never to california or up the west coast!
i've always envied people who live where you do! it's simply beautiful. in every way.
your 5th grade memory... so cute! LOLOL. education in the dumpster!

Labels

12 tomatoe site (1) agua fria (1) around town (2) Arrowbear (1) Arroyo Grande (2) art (1) artsy art (1) atascadero (2) autumn (1) autumn birds (1) Avila Beach (1) back deck (1) Balboa Island (1) beanie (4) bears (1) Bend (10) bend daily front porch (1) big bear (1) Big Bear City (1) bird (1) bird farm (1) bird farm magnolia (1) bird house (1) birds (2) blue (1) blue jay (1) botanical gardens (1) burnt mill road (1) ca (1) california (2) Cambria (1) carrie's garden (1) cat (5) cats (2) cayucos (1) cedar glen (7) cedar pines park (1) central coast (3) central coast visit (1) chicken lime and cilantro (1) christmas (1) city scenes (2) claremont (23) Claremont front porch (1) coast (2) Corona (1) Corral (1) Covina (3) crestline (9) crestline front porch (1) crochet. (1) daffodils (1) dailiy front porch (1) daily (1) daily front porch (36) daily front porch CLAREMONT (1) daily front porch claremont (1) daily front porch COVINA (1) Daily porch (2) dog (1) doggie day care (1) dogs (1) drone over china (1) duarte (1) fall (1) fall 2015 (1) family garden (1) favorite house #1 (1) ferry (1) fog (1) front porch (78) front porch Bend (1) front porch crestline (1) front porch daily (5) front porch deck crestline (1) front porch Laverne (1) front porch post (6) front porch rim forest (1) front porch SLO (1) front porch Upland (1) Front Porches (1) frontp porch (1) glendora (1) granddaughters (1) grandson (1) great falls (1) green valley lake (1) grobeak (1) halcyon (1) heaps peak (1) heron (1) horse (1) hummingbirds (1) hwy 38 (1) ice (1) jake (1) keller peak (1) kinkade (1) kittens (3) la maison boheme (1) lake arrowhead (9) lake arrowhead. (1) Lake Gregory area (1) lake gregory dogs (1) laugh a lot (1) Laverne (5) leaves. claremont (1) local (1) lopez lake (1) love birds (1) mac and jake (1) mackenzie (1) Magnolia Bird farm (1) mansion redlands (1) mice (1) mirror pond (1) monrovia (3) montana (1) morro bay gallery (1) mountain rim (1) mountain towns (1) mountains (1) mouse (1) ms. feral (1) mt. baldy (3) my street (1) Northwest Crossing (1) oak glen (3) ocean (1) oceano (1) olalla (2) Ontario (4) Oregon (5) Oro (1) parrots (1) paso robles (4) pelicans (2) PET pacific electric trail (1) pets (1) Pismo Beach (1) Pismo trip (1) playground (1) port orchard (3) poulsbo (1) Prescott (1) rainbow (1) Redlands (5) rim highway (1) rim of the world (1) riverside (6) roosters (1) RUNNING SPRINGS (1) san antonio heights (1) san luis obispo (5) san simeon (1) santa barbara courthouse (1) santa's village (1) seagulls (1) seahawks (1) seattle (4) sky park (1) SLO (3) snow (2) snow in March (1) snow white (1) squirrel (1) sugarloaf (1) sunset (3) tacoma (2) temecula (1) Templeton (1) Thompson creek trail (1) thunder snow (1) toni's (1) tulips (1) Twin Peaks (3) typewriter (1) Upland (8) valentine's day (1) valley of moon (1) vashon island (1) VOE (1) walk (1) washington (1) western bluebird (1) wrightwood (6) WW (1) zebras (2)